The video game industry is known for its long hours and high-stress environment, leading to mental health issues among team members. Thankfully, Safe In Our World, a charity dedicated to promoting mental health awareness within the industry, is launching a program of free online training courses to provide information and support around mental health and well-being.
These courses have been developed with marginalised and underrepresented individuals, addressing social and economic inequalities and discrimination issues. They cover various topics, from common mental health conditions to communication skills and personal boundaries.
In addition, attendees can benefit from an in-depth mental health first aid course that will empower individuals to help those in crisis.
Safe In Our World’s dedication to mental health awareness is essential for the well-being of individual team members and for creating a more inclusive and supportive work environment within the industry.
Those in the gaming industry should take advantage of these free courses and join in the effort to combat stigma and discrimination. Sign up now at TicketSource.
The series of courses offers:
- keynote lectures focusing on the history of mental health discrimination and systemic inequalities;
- awareness courses to provide information and coping strategies to support well-being;
- and in-depth mental health first aid courses.
A full breakdown of each event is below. Participants are welcome to attend all three events or can pick whichever they feel is right for them.
KEYNOTE LECTURE: MENTAL HEALTH IN THE GAMES INDUSTRY
2 hours (online) with live Q&A
- Understanding the history of mental health discrimination
- An overview of the key themes in the global mental health agenda
- An insight into the data confirming systemic inequalities in mental health incidence and
- treatment for marginalised groups
- An awareness of the global movement to challenge stigma and discrimination
- Insights into how our communication skills can support the mental health agenda
MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS FOR THE GAMES INDUSTRY
4 hours (online)
- Basic knowledge of mental health
- The most common mental health conditions: spotting the signs
- Understanding the systemic impacts on mental health for marginalised groups
- Developing coping strategies to support the well-being
- Key focus on developing interpersonal skills
- Gaining confidence to help others
- Knowing how to challenge the stigma and discrimination around mental health
- Understanding the most prominent mental health myths and knowing the evidence
MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID FOR THE GAMES INDUSTRY (4-PART COURSE)
4 x 3-hour sessions delivered over two weeks (online)
- Tailored individual learning in between each session
- Aims of the Mind Fitness Mental Health First Aid qualification
- Understanding mental health, stigma and discrimination
- Key legislation, policy and the World Health Authority perspective
- Recognising primary mental health issues
- Anxiety disorders
- Mood disorders
- Substance misuse disorders
- Learning the RESPOND approach to providing non-judgemental support
- Applying the RESPOND framework
- Establishing healthy boundaries, roles and responsibilities
- Understanding safeguarding and best practice guidelines
- Understanding diversity and best practice guidelines
- Conflict management skills
- Recognising different personality types and communication styles
- Knowing what to do in a mental health emergency
- Understanding well-being
- Learning practical skills to take care of one’s mental health
- Managing stress effectively
- Feeling confident about referring people to the appropriate professional
- Mental health support resources
“From social and economic inequalities to racism and prejudice, there are so many barriers that make accessing mental health treatment all that more difficult for marginalised individuals,” explains Sarah Sorrell, Charity Manager. “We wanted to be able to offer a suite of training programmes that not only welcomed but actively included under-represented members of the games industry.”
Get your tickets here.